Wednesday, May 10, 2017

OK, so it took me a little longer than a couple of weeks, more legal stuff I had to deal with....

I decided to put pictures of how to sew a gusset into a bag instead of a video. Hopefully it will explain it well enough for anyone that is interested. If you have questions, leave a comment please.

The bag is standing vertical with the bottom seam up here.

Pull the bag to open it outward some and allow you to flatten it out a little on the bottom. The object is to create the v shape on each side. It should look like this.

Lay it on the sewing machine with the sides of the bag pushed to the side of the machine, you only want to sew the "v",  try not to sew the side of the bag into the gusset. The v is what will make the tab as I call it, and that is what makes the gusset.

.Turn the bag right side out, and the tabs should look like this and the bag should have a nice square bottom to sit on.

The bottom of the bag after it is finished.

I know this was not the best tutorial, but hopefully it is enough to show you the basics, then you can experiment with it and see what works best for you. I find it very helpful to sew a bunch of bags in this way before I go out to work on the dome. By using the bags like this, it makes them easier to keep on the wall, it looks better, there is not a lot of material sticking out, therefore it is easier to apply the plaster. A couple of suggestions when it comes to buying or getting your bags, I have learned the hard way. Check not just the dimensions of the bag, but also the thickness, I have mentioned it before but it is important, so I am mentioning it again, be careful of buying bags that are very thin and do not have some type of UV protection on them, especially if you live in a climate that has hot sun. Another thing, I unfortunately did not know about this sooner, but I was told you could paint the bags after you lay them and it will keep them from deteriorating so quickly if it is going to be a while before you are able to plaster. Tarps are good too, but a real pain to deal with. Well, guess that is all for now. G_d Bless you all! Ozarkmoma



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
My wife and I are building a home using earthhbags in Camden County MO. We attended some workshops, most recently in CAL Earth in southern california. We would love to see your build and pick your brain on some things. We already have our land, but have not broken ground just yet.

Thanks!
Bill and Leah Armstrong

ozarkmoma said...

Hello Bill and Leah!

Congrats on making your decision to build an earth-bag house! I am sorry to say, and a little ashamed as well, that I have not been working on my house due to some crazy legal stuff going on in my life. I want to stress that I haven't done anything wrong, I won't bore you with details other than to say that the tactics used by the people involved are to harass me and cause me financial distress long enough so that it will wear me down. And, unfortunately it is working. I have not been able to work on the build due to the financial difficulties it has caused. Now I am weary, a little depressed, and getting older everyday.

But, I will be glad to share anything I have learned with you, but in all honesty if you have been to Cal Earth, well, I'm not sure that I could possibly know anything they don't know.

I will say this:

Build a roof over the entire build if you can, even if it isn't part of the design. This was my biggest mistake, I did not think it would take me very long to build it, but life happens. I never thought something like this would happen to me. So, cover your build with something more permanent than plastic and tarps. You can always take it down and reuse the material.

This is very important too, don't let anyone steal your dream, stick with it.

Thanks for taking an interest in my little project.

Ozarkmoma